The Life and Times -- SHIPIT crew

                                       "It's probably a race. I call. You have aces? Oh.. I have 22."

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Another Makeover

After 3 weeks of solid, uninterrupted losing, and 1 week of reflection, I think I'm finally ready to get back in the saddle. I've come across several articles online which have helped me know where I'm at as a poker player, student, and a person. How successful I am or my happiness level is only what I make of it. That goes for anyone, whether they believe it or not. From here, although I'm not sure what I really want to do yet (besides some type of management) I realized that poker is going to play a large role in my life in the next 1-2 years. I've gained too much experience in it to just put it aside.

That being said, I realized that if I continue to book wins followed by periods where I simply spin out of control, don't care about losses, and in general don't keep good statistics and let me life in general go south, I'm not using my knowledge, skills, and discipline to be successful at poker, let alone life. Some adjustment policies are going to involve me posting on here more regularly, helping release some of the frustration I find from the world of variance. That's step 1. Adjustment 2 is going to be planning out exactly what I am going to play for the day before I play it, no matter how good or bad it goes. So if I wake up and say I am going to play $27 turbos from 9-midnight, that is what’s going to happen no matter what. More or less, I've found in the past that if I play games I told myself I was going to play I don't tilt significantly as opposed to if I reverse bankroll and play games bigger and bigger to try and make it back. I think this should help with that.

As for games, I'm going to try to stick to a pretty restrictive diet. As for as pokerstars goes, $27 turbos are tried-and-true and am planning on booking about 400 of them on stars before I stop and reevaluate. As for cash games and multi-tournaments, the $3 and $5 rebuy tournaments I will try to get in once a week and cash games are going to be avoided unless I really feel boredom and the need to switch it up. If I want to play cash games, I'll probably be doing it in conjunction with Wyll on either Party or PokerRoom.

Some of the articles I said I had read at the beginning are still available. There's a great blog post about starting out at poker here. It's some advice I wish I read anytime with in the two years of playing. Dutch Boyd talks about tournament poker here. Lastly, Josh on twoplustwo has a great article about variance and bankroll requirements if your a large variance player or you are trying not to go broke right here.

Soon I will post a more detailed outlook on the stats I'd like to achieve and what I want to accomplish before the Turning Stone annual poker classic in May.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
web hit counter